Pages

Saturday 21 January 2012

My vision

Vision is such an important thing in life. The gift of sight is probably one of the most important senses we have. You may be wondering why i am talking about this. Let me tell you a story.


I was 10 years old when i first got glasses. This may not seem like a big deal with hindsight, but to my ten year old self it was. As a very timid, painfully shy ten year old, my world did feel as though it had ended. Having been bullied for many years as a child, i really didn't want to be identified as the 'kid with the glasses' or 'four eyes'. So i hid them. I refused to wear them in class. I sat with an annoying boy who kicked me under the table painfully every lesson but endured it as i was close to the whiteboard and could read what was on it. I was clever and used my wits to get through the last few months of my final year at primary school without letting on that i needed glasses.


I don't really know what changed that summer but i realised that enough was enough. I became determined to make a difference but that meant putting up a barrier against everyone who could ever harm me. I used my glasses as my shield. I felt safe wearing them, and i did start to think that when i wore them no one could see me. This actually worked for me and as the years went by, it made hiding easier and i became more and more confident without anyone judging me. 


My glasses helped me gain the confidence to be a new person. It sounds silly but wearing them, it meant that no one could see the real me or hurt the real me.


As i grew to the age of 16, i discovered contact lenses. After many painful attempts at putting them in, they finally became comfortable. I started to wear them but only on good days. Days when i felt confident enough for someone to see behind the glasses. That is how i met the wonderful person in my life who saw behind the lenses and the glasses and saw me for who i was. It didn't matter whether i was wearing glasses or contact lenses, he thought i was pretty and wanted me for me.


If you have lasted this long, then i can finally get to the point of my story. I have now decided to eye laser surgery at Optical Express next weekend.


I went for my consultation in Harley Street. It wasn't as scary as i thought it would be. I had many tests which were pretty simple and i have decided to take the jump. Yes it is very expensive but you can't put a price on your vision. I have hidden behind glasses for too long and it is time that i stopped hiding and really showed the world who i am. 


I would like to thank a very special person in my life for giving me his support to do this. No more hiding and no more shying away from who i am. Thank you!


Smile! :)
Sanoobar



No comments:

Post a Comment